Back for his second episode of The NetFlakes Podcast, we welcome filmmaker Edward Platero to help guide us through Kathryn Bigelow’s prescient 1995 sci-fi thriller, Strange Days.
Twenty years later, the themes of virtual reality, technological ethics, and racially-charged tension with police all ring just as true now as they ever have.
We also celebrate Angela Bassett’s Macey, the background-to-foreground protagonist whose ass-kicking is so inspiring it leads to riots and eventually a hope for racial harmony.
- The episode of What’s The Point I reference is called “Are Algorithms Ruining How We Discover Music?”
- The video for Fatboy Slim’s “Right Here, Right Now”
- More information about the Sony MiniDisc
- Edward’s last podcast about Interstellar
- Our podcast about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Our podcast about Heathers
- The teaser for Glass:
- Edward’s video for the Jack Richardson London Music Awards, featuring a heap of London’s local musicians:
Check out the NetFlakes Patreon campaign to support the project and get rewards.
Strange Days is also available on Amazon.